The purpose of this unit is to introduce learners to human resources (HR) activity and to the role of the HR function in organisations in general terms. It focuses on the aims and objectives of HR departments in contemporary organisations and particularly on the ways that these are evolving. Different ways of delivering HR objectives and emerging developments in the management of the employment relationship are explored as well as the methods that can be used to demonstrate that the function adds value for organisations.
The unit also aims to inform learners about published research evidence linking HR activity with positive organisational outcomes. The case for professionalism and an ethical approach to HR is introduced as is the role played by HR managers in facilitating and promoting effective change management.
The new Intermediate Level Awards in Human Resources from CIPD are set at undergraduate level and will develop your ability to evaluate the effectiveness of different HR models and practices and increase your understanding of the external factors that impact upon HR activities and organisations.
Structure of Qualification
To achieve an Intermediate Award in Human Resources, you need a total of between 3 and 12 credits. The Intermediate Award in Managing and Co-ordinating the Human Resources Function has 6 credits.
The learning outcomes for this unit are shown below. By the end of the unit, you will be able to:
- Be able to explain the purpose and key objectives of the HR function in contemporary organisations
- Understand how HR objectives are delivered in different organisations
- Understand how the HR function can be evaluated in terms of value added and contribution to sustained organisation performance
- Understand the HR function's contribution to effective change management
- Be able to explain the role of ethics and professionalism in human resource management and development
- Understand the relationship between organisational performance and effective human resource management and development.
This is a Level 5 programme and is equivalent in level to the second year of an undergraduate degree programme.
The Intermediate Level Awards in Human Resources are for those who:
- Aspire to work in HR or already work in HR and want to study a recognised undergraduate level qualification
- Work in an HR support role and want to formalise their experience and progress their career by developing their knowledge and skills at a higher level
If English is not your first language, you will be required to have an IELTS score of 6 or above.
As all the units form part of the Intermediate Certificate / Diploma in Human Resource Management, you can also use your Award to work towards meeting the knowledge requirements for CIPD professional membership by taking additional units to achieve the full Intermediate Certificate or Diploma.
On completion, you'll receive a CIPD Intermediate Award in Human Resources.
Assessment for this unit is by way of a 3000 word written report.
- We won't leave you on your own. Your experienced personal tutor is available online and over the phone, ready to provide academic expertise, while your CIPD mentor is here to help with all the guidance and motivation you need.
- When you enrol, you become part of our online Student Community. As well as being able to contact tutors and submit work online, you'll have instant access to your fellow students, and the chance to discuss your work, ask questions and make new friends.
- All of your teaching materials have been prepared by experts in the field. They've also been devised with the unique requirements of home study in mind, making them highly effective online learning tools.
You can either pay for your course in full or opt for a monthly payment plan.
Speak to one of our course advisors now for more information on our payment plans.
Please note that CIPD fees and workshop* fees are additional to course fees.
* An integral part of your Intermediate Level Award in Managing and Co-ordinating the Human Resources Function programme is your attendance at a residential workshop.
Workshop tuition costs are included in the cost of your course but there are additional fees payable to the hotel for use of hotel services, accommodation, meals, etc.
CIPD membership is not necessary when studying for an Award in Human Resources, although there is a one-off payment of£30 to CIPD.
An integral part of your Intermediate Level Award in Managing and Co-ordinating the Human Resources Function programme is your attendance at a residential workshop.
Workshop tuition costs are included in the cost of your course but there are additional fees payable to the hotel for use of hotel services, accommodation, meals, etc. However ICS Learn has negotiated reduced rates with the hotels on your behalf.