How Much Does a CMI Qualification Cost?
Professional qualifications have become an increasingly popular way for individuals to accelerate their career development. If you’re like most people, however, the courses you want aren’t always offered through your employer, and that means enrolling on your qualification of choice will cost you.
When you’re not sure where to start, we know that looking into how much you might have to spend to progress your career can be intimidating.
That’s why we’re taking an in-depth look at the costs associated with CMI qualifications to help guide you, so you know exactly what you can expect to pay.
The Chartered Management Institute has been a leading authority on leadership, management, and industry excellence for over 60 years.
They're also incorporated under a Royal Charter and are the only organisation globally that can award Chartered Manager status.
Valued by employers around the world, CMI’s prestigious qualifications enable you to develop your leadership and management skills and credibility at each stage of your career.
What affects the cost of a CMI qualification?
There are a few elements that will affect the price of your CMI qualification, including:
The cost of CMI qualifications isn’t set in stone from provider to provider, which means that your course fees are partially dependent on who you choose to study your course with.
If you want to save money where you can, it’s essential to do your research before deciding on a provider so that you know you’re getting the most bang for your buck.
How you study
CMI training courses are offered both online and in the classroom.
Choosing the classroom learning route means that you’ll be studying your course with other learners under the guidance of a tutor at a CMI centre.
While many people enjoy the face-to-face interaction that comes with in-person classes, it’s important to consider not only how much money it will cost you, but how much time it will cost you as well. You’ll need to factor in your commute, as well as the cost of your course materials (which we all know can add up quickly).
Online learning, however, will give you the flexibility of studying at your own pace, and many online CMI providers (like us!) offer low, interest-free payment plans - a convenient bonus if you’re on a tight budget.
If you decide that online learning is for you, you’ll have full access to your tutor, course materials, and an abundance of helpful resources - all online. You also won’t need to worry about the cost of your commute as you can learn from the comfort of your own home - saving you money where it counts.
The type of qualification
The cost of your course will vary depending on the type of qualification you choose to study and how advanced that qualification is.
CMI offers seven qualification levels, Level 2 through Level 8, with Level 2 being designed for team leaders and the most advanced Level 7 and 8 qualifications being aimed at senior leaders and CEOs.
At each level, you’ll have a choice of studying a Diploma, Certificate, or Award:
- Diplomas are the most comprehensive and sought-after CMI qualifications, teaching you the wide-ranging skills you need to become an effective leader and manager.
- Certificates are shorter qualifications that cover the crucial units from the Diploma, focusing on developing your core management skills.
- Awards are bite-sized courses that cover only one unit from the Diploma, allowing you to focus on a particular area and skillset to develop as a leader.
So, how much does a CMI qualification cost?
To give you further insight on the cost of a CMI qualification, we’ve mapped out the typical price range you can expect for each qualification at each length. Keep in mind, however, course costs will vary depending on the level of tools and resources available with your chosen provider upon enrolment.
For instance, if you choose to study with us, you’ll benefit from interest-free monthly payments, unlimited tutor support, and access to our online Student Community and tons of other valuable online learning resources.
CMI Level 2 Qualifications
- A CMI Level 2 Diploma generally costs between £1,050 and £2,400.
- A CMI Level 2 Certificate generally costs between £630 and £1,110.
- A CMI Level 2 Award generally costs between £390 and £710
Best for: Those just starting out or team leaders who want to build a foundation for their leadership and management skills.
CMI Level 3 Qualifications
- A CMI Level 3 Diploma generally costs between £1,500 and £2,400.
- A CMI Level 3 Certificate generally costs between £500 and £1,050.
- A CMI Level 3 Award generally costs between £390 and £710.
Best for: Aspiring or supervisory managers who want to broaden their leadership and management knowledge.
CMI Level 4 Qualifications
- A CMI Level 4 Diploma generally costs between £1,400 and £2,400.
- A CMI Level 4 Certificate generally costs between £650 and £1,110.
- A CMI Level 4 Award generally costs between £390 and £710.
Best for: Junior or first-line managers who want to build their core management skills.
CMI Level 5 Qualifications
- A CMI Level 5 Diploma generally costs between £1,050 and £2,500.
- A CMI Level 5 Certificate generally costs between £655 and £1,700.
- A CMI Level 5 Award generally costs between £410 and £725.
Best for: Mid-level managers who want to focus on developing more advanced strategic management skills. A CMI Level 5 Diploma or above can also help you achieve Chartered Manager status.
CMI Level 6 Qualifications
- A CMI Level 6 Diploma generally costs between £1,715 and £2,475.
- A CMI Level 6 Certificate generally costs between £715 and £1,190.
- A CMI Level 6 Award generally costs between £430 and £750.
Best for: Senior managers and directors who want to further develop their ability to transform business strategy into effective performance.
CMI Level 7 Qualifications
- A CMI Level 7 Diploma generally costs between £1,050 and £2,475.
- A CMI Level 7 Certificate generally costs between £715 and £1,200.
- A CMI Level 7 Award generally costs between £430 and £750.
Best for: Senior managers and directors who want to develop their high-level strategic business leadership skills.
CMI Level 8 Qualifications
- A CMI Level 8 Diploma generally costs between £1,735 and £1,815.
- A CMI Level 8 Certificate generally costs between £765 and £1,200.
- A CMI Level 8 Award generally costs between £456 and £750
Best for: C-suite professionals who want to develop their strategic leadership, business development, and inter-organisational planning skills to build a successful company culture.
When you enrol with CMI, you’ll need to pay a CMI registration fee - which isn’t always included in the price of your initial course fees. Like your course fees, your registration fees will differ depending on what qualification you take:
- A CMI Diploma registration fee typically costs between £180 and £300.
- A CMI Certificate registration fee typically costs between £130 and £200.
- A CMI Level 6 Certificate typically costs between £110 and £130.
Other fees to look out for when you’re researching learning providers are your CMI assessment fees. Each qualification dictates that you complete one or more assessments, and if this fee isn’t included in your course costs, you’re looking at another £50 per assessment.
While gaining a CMI qualification may cost you initially, the rewards you’ll get from being CMI qualified are huge.
From promotions and pay raises to professional recognition and job opportunities, CMI qualifications open doors and increase your earning potential - making them an excellent investment in your career and your future.
Discover how an online CMI qualification can accelerate your career. Get your free CMI course guide today to get started.
It’s time to build your career.
Request your guide to getting qualified online in HR, accountancy, project management, GCSEs and more.