5 Career-Changing Things to Do at the CIPD HR Show 2019
The CIPD Annual Conference and Exhibition is one of the biggest events in HR and L&D. This year’s event will be taking place on the 6th and 7th of November at Manchester Central.
We know many of you have already signed up to attend, but if you need a little extra persuasion, here’s 5 things you can do at the conference that can change your career.
#1 Learn something new
Over the course of the two days, CIPD ACE will be a huge hub of learning for HR and L&D professionals and you’ll 100% be able to learn something new.
There are workshops, talks, case studies, plenary sessions and panel discussions galore – all of which are designed to introduce you to a new aspect of HR/L&D or give you an alternative perspective on a familiar subject.
This year’s programme of events covers 5 dedicated topics, so there really is something for everyone to get excited about. Choose from:
- Well-being, Inclusion and Flexible Working
- Tech, Analytics and Evidence-based Decision
- Professionalism, Voice and Change Management
- Engagement, Experience and People Management
- Learning, Recruitment and Talent Management
In addition to all the conference goings-on, you’ll also be able to take part in the learning events in the exhibition hall - all of which are completely free!
#2 Grow your network
The HR and L&D community is an incredibly friendly one to be part of. CIPD ACE will allow you to meet a huge variety of knowledgeable professionals, making it the perfect place to expand your network.
With more than 5,000 professionals and over 180 exhibitors due to attend the conference, you’ll have the chance to interact with people from all areas of HR and L&D, so this is a great opportunity to get out there and mingle.
If you’re a bit unused to networking or feel a bit nervous about doing it at a big event, don’t panic – check out our guide to networking at professional events for some top tips.
#3 Get inspired by the amazing speakers
This year’s conference boasts an impressive array of speakers including senior HR and L&D professionals from some of the largest companies across the globe.
With over 100 speakers scheduled, you’re bound to be able to find someone to inspire and excite your professional curiosity. Our personal highlights are:
- Baroness Ruby McGregor-Smith, Member of the UK House of Lords and former Chief Executive of the Mitie Group Plc giving a closing keynote speech on ‘Race in the workplace – creating environments in which everyone is able to fulfil their potential’
- Ann Pickering, CHRO and Chief of Staff at O2 (Telephonica UK) delivering an ACE talk on ‘The courage of speaking up – increasing your impact, profile and influence’
- Professor Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic, Professor of Business Psychology, UCL and Columbia and Chief Talent Scientist, ManpowerGroup giving an ACE talk on ‘The science of leadership – unlocking human potential at work’
#4 Meet the CIPD and get in-person advice
The CIPD has an excellent range of resources online on their website, but sometimes you just can’t beat a face-to-face chat.
If you’re attending the exhibition this year, you’ll be able to pop by the CIPD stand (D1) and get help and advice on how the CIPD can support your individual practice, your wider organisation and your professional development.
You’ll be able to get in-depth information on CIPD membership benefits and qualifications.
#5 Come and have a chat with us!
We’ll be at stand E40 this year so why not drop by and say hello?
Whether you need HR or L&D CIPD qualifications, leadership training or something else for either yourself or your team, our friendly advisors will be on hand to talk you through our flexible, online courses and find the best solution for your needs.
Even if you’re only after the free swag, we’ll be happy to keep you stocked in pens, tote bags, sweeties and more!
You can grab your free exhibition pass here. We can’t wait to see you there!