The Apprenticeship Levy presents a fantastic opportunity for businesses to develop their workforce, acquire new talent, and broaden their L&D strategy.
However, companies face a number of pitfalls when managing their levy and developing their apprenticeship programme.
Here, digital-first apprenticeship pioneer Sean McCready explains the most common mistakes businesses make – and how to avoid them.
ICS Learn apprenticeship leader Sean McCready has more than 20 years’ experience pioneering the design and delivery of digital-first apprenticeships.
He led some of the first online apprenticeships for the UK’s largest employers, and he specialises in using technology and online assessment to enhance the flexibility of his apprenticeship programmes.
‘The introduction of the apprenticeship levy and the new apprenticeship standards have created a huge amount of new opportunity,’ Sean explains.
‘However, you need to make sure you use your levy – that seems intuitive enough, but you only have 24 months to use the levy funding. The minute you start automatically paying into the fund, the time is ticking.
‘Make sure you engage one of the training providers on the Register of Apprenticeship Training Providers (RoATP). They’ll help and guide you through the process of both managing your levy funding and gaining the training and support that you need.
‘One of the great things about the apprenticeship levy is that it’s introduced a huge amount of choice into the sector. There are flexible training providers such as ICS Learn who can provide you with tailored programmes, and there are also more traditional training providers.
‘You’re the employer, you’re the one who needs the skills and you’re the one paying the money, so it’s really important that you make the right decisions and make sure that you’re not just fitting the training around your business but actually designing the training to suit your business.’
Still got questions? Our apprenticeship consultants will guide you through the levy from beginning to end.
As a RoATP-approved apprenticeship provider, we design and deliver a digital-first apprenticeships that are tailored to your needs.
To find out more, click here or fill in the 'Request a Consultation' form to contact our advisors.
Download Your Free Guide
- ICS Learn Open Day Facebook Live Event
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Abi
- 10 Simple Tips To Help You Learn Faster
- What We Learned From The CIPD Show 2016
- 3 Learning Styles and Why They’re Vital
- Share Your Success for a Chance To Win £100 Shopping Vouchers
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Lee
- 10 Signs That You're Ready For A New Career
- 5 HR Tactics You Can Steal From Google’s Groundbreaking Analytics Team
- The Three Things to Get You Out on a Run
- Promoting Equality in the Workplace
- The Benefits of High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Laura | Online CIPD Level 5 Review
- Learn to Love Learning in 4 Simple Steps
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Ashley | Online CIPD Level 3 Review
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Jacqui | CIPD L&D Level 3 Review
- Infographic: What to Wear to Work Out
- Teach Your Kids to be Money Smart
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Sophia | Personal Training Course Review
- Fitness Friday: Meet Annie Bean
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Samuel | Online GCSE Maths Review
- The Science of Happiness: 5 Ways to Boost Your Wellbeing
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Ruby | Online CIPD Level 5 Review
- Fitness Friday: The Importance of Rest Days
- How Will Brexit Affect HR and Recruitment?
- Create A Printable GCSE and A Level Study Planner
- 12 Tips for Handling Difficult Conversations at Work
- How to Get a Job in Procurement & Supply
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Lewis | IGCSE English Language Review
- The 7 Time Management Mistakes That Are Ruining Your Productivity
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Audrey | Online GCSE Maths Review
- How to Give Constructive Feedback
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Klaudia | Online CIPD Level 7 Review
- 8 Tips for Students Starting an Online Learning Programme
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Rebecca | CIPD L&D Level 3 Review
- The 12 Best Health and Fitness Apps for Beginners 2017
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Samantha | Online AAT Advanced Review
- Top Tips for Triathlon Training
- We’re Launching All-Inclusive AAT Programmes for Businesses
- Triathlete Michael Hindmarch on Training, Competing and the European Championships
- 3 Ways to Land Your First HR Job
- How to Look After Your Mental Health as a Student
- Infographic: What To Do If You Fail Your GCSEs
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Adam | Online AAT Accounting Review
- A Level Results: What to Do If You Didn’t Get The Grades You Need (2017 Update)
- GCSE Results: What to Do if You Didn’t Get the Grades You Need (2017 Update)
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Sarah | Online CIPD Level 7 Review
- ICS Real Stories: Lewis's IGCSE English Language Results
- ICS Real Stories: Laura's GCSE Maths Results