Charles Goff-Deakins reviews his journey from goat farmer to Senior HR Officer with our CIPD Level 3 Certificate.
I remember the feeling of excitement when I enrolled onto the CIPD Level 3 Certificate course at the beginning of 2016 through ICS Learn, and it was very similar to the excitement of completing it nine months later. I had just signed up to an online learning course and taken my first step to being a qualified HR professional.
My path to HR was a long-winded and meandering one! It was only after a very wide spectrum of various jobs that I discovered the HR profession.
My working life began, not in any corporate environment, or even in a ‘people’ job. My first job was on a goat farm as a farm assistant and consisted all the glamourous shovelling duties one might expect.
I was about 15 and worked there for a couple of weeks during the school holidays and from there, my career path went through an assortment of roles: shop assistant; telesales agent; crepe maker; till operator; café supervisor; artist; administrator; accounts supervisor; and then to a role that changed my career path/life.
I was hired to be a data controller in an employment law consultancy, and one of my roles consisted of recording incoming ET1 forms. I had to read the nature of the case and record it on the system, and this essentially exposed me to the world of HR.
I was hooked. It got to the point where I’d keep an eye on a case’s responding ET3 once the paralegal had written it up (which I also had to record) just to see how the claim panned out!
From there, a year later, I took a big pay cut to take an entry-level HR generalist role, a perfect way to see the whole breadth of HR, and wanted to earn a CIPD Level 3 Certificate to help me get up to speed.
Having experienced online courses before, I knew this was the approach I wanted to take for CIPD; as I worked full time and I was funding my own CIPD course, I couldn’t take time off so studying online was perfect for me.
After shopping around for course providers, it was very clear to me that ICS Learn was the best option for me. I read reviews, success stories and the competitive monthly instalment amounts before enrolling.
My only reservation was the self-discipline required to study at my own pace. However, once I started, I quickly developed a habit of studying at specific times of the day and week. It helped that the subject was interesting!
I thoroughly enjoyed the course – it was paced appropriately and yet was still stretching enough to get a real sense of accomplishment when I completed each chapter.
The weekend workshop was a lot of fun too*. I had an option of a couple of venues and dates so I could attend the workshop that suited me, and although my online tutor provided amazing support for me over the phone or email throughout the course, it was great to see a tutor in person during the workshop weekend. Her passion for the industry really shone through and made the workshop that bit more energetic.
I completed the course in late 2016 and then four or five months later I got a new job, my current job, as Senior HR Officer, which increased my salary by 50%. Although I had the relevant experience, I wouldn’t have got the job if I didn’t have the CIPD qualification.
After completing the course, I immediately applied for associate membership of the CIPD, so now I can proudly add the post-nominals ‘Assoc CIPD’ after my name.
I couldn’t be happier where I am now, specialising in HR policy in the HR strategy team, and I now also write for HR Zone (a website that posts articles on HR topics) and for my own blog The Avid Doer (about career management and development).
I would thoroughly recommend studying through ICS Learn to anyone who wants a CIPD qualification but wants the study to work around them and their lifestyle.
Inspired by Charles’s story? Find out more about studying CIPD online.
*Please note that the CIPD Level 3 Certificate in L&D is now delivered 100% online.
Ready to advance your HR career?
- ICS Learn Open Day Facebook Live Event
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Abi
- 10 Simple Tips To Help You Learn Faster
- What We Learned From The CIPD Show 2016
- 3 Learning Styles and Why They’re Vital
- Share Your Success for a Chance To Win £100 Shopping Vouchers
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Lee
- 10 Signs That You're Ready For A New Career
- 5 HR Tactics You Can Steal From Google’s Groundbreaking Analytics Team
- The Three Things to Get You Out on a Run
- Promoting Equality in the Workplace
- The Benefits of High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Laura | Online CIPD Level 5 Review
- Learn to Love Learning in 4 Simple Steps
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Ashley | Online CIPD Level 3 Review
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Jacqui | CIPD L&D Level 3 Review
- Infographic: What to Wear to Work Out
- Teach Your Kids to be Money Smart
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Sophia | Personal Training Course Review
- Fitness Friday: Meet Annie Bean
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Samuel | Online GCSE Maths Review
- The Science of Happiness: 5 Ways to Boost Your Wellbeing
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Ruby | Online CIPD Level 5 Review
- Fitness Friday: The Importance of Rest Days
- How Will Brexit Affect HR and Recruitment?
- Create A Printable GCSE and A Level Study Planner
- 12 Tips for Handling Difficult Conversations at Work
- How to Get a Job in Procurement & Supply
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Lewis | IGCSE English Language Review
- The 7 Time Management Mistakes That Are Ruining Your Productivity
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Audrey | Online GCSE Maths Review
- How to Give Constructive Feedback
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Klaudia | Online CIPD Level 7 Review
- 8 Tips for Students Starting an Online Learning Programme
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Rebecca | CIPD L&D Level 3 Review
- The 12 Best Health and Fitness Apps for Beginners 2017
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Samantha | Online AAT Advanced Review
- Top Tips for Triathlon Training
- We’re Launching All-Inclusive AAT Programmes for Businesses
- Triathlete Michael Hindmarch on Training, Competing and the European Championships
- 3 Ways to Land Your First HR Job
- How to Look After Your Mental Health as a Student
- Infographic: What To Do If You Fail Your GCSEs
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Adam | Online AAT Accounting Review
- A Level Results: What to Do If You Didn’t Get The Grades You Need (2017 Update)
- GCSE Results: What to Do if You Didn’t Get the Grades You Need (2017 Update)
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Sarah | Online CIPD Level 7 Review
- ICS Real Stories: Lewis's IGCSE English Language Results
- ICS Real Stories: Laura's GCSE Maths Results