Our dedicated student Oeiisha Smart reviews her journey to getting AAT qualified with our online AAT Foundation Certificate and Advanced Diploma in Accounting combined course.
I always enjoyed working with numbers and problem solving at school, but didn’t sit the higher GCSE paper and felt like I could not go much further in Maths with a B.
After leaving school I saw a poster advertising AAT courses, but still didn't feel confident enough to go for it. Over the years I saw AAT adverts and posters, which stuck with me, but I chose a career in primary education.
In 2015 I was made redundant and saw a business school promoting AAT courses. I felt like this was a sign and began my journey. I completed Level 1 (recommended by the course provider) and completed my first module before stopping to have a baby. When enquiring about distance learning options, they said that they could not offer this service.
I did not want to stop studying, but with a 4-month-old and an older child in school it was not practical for me to go to college part time.
I remembered seeing ICS Learn adverts over the years, so enquired about courses. They were very helpful on the phone with regards to me already completing a module and were competitively priced, offering joint packages and a realistic timescale to complete them.
I signed up for the joint Level 2 & 3 (Foundation & Advanced) package.
It was such a relief to know that I could study as and when I could find an hour or so, and have a break when I had too much on. I also liked the flexibility of booking and sitting exams when and where I choose.
I have now completed Level 2, am part way through Level 3 and I am still as enthusiastic as when I began.
I have enjoyed studying with ICS Learn because as well as practice questions throughout the chapters, there are also online questions. It also has appropriately placed links to the resources on the AAT website, offering well-rounded learning.
All of the textbooks (Osbourne and Kaplan) are easy to read and understand, with the questions confirming my understanding.
I have not had much need for tutor support, but there has always been a timely response to my queries.
I now tend to study evenings and weekends, when the children have gone to bed. Sometimes I manage to steal an hour or so during the day.
If I find a section difficult, or I can't get my head around it I sometimes need motivating to pick it back up again, but I always have my end goal in sight.
This journey has taught me that it's not too late to follow your dreams and change career. Or at the very least, give it a try! Good luck on your journey.
Find out more about studying Accountancy or Bookkeeping online.
Download Your Free Guide
- ICS Learn Open Day Facebook Live Event
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Abi
- 10 Simple Tips To Help You Learn Faster
- What We Learned From The CIPD Show 2016
- 3 Learning Styles and Why They’re Vital
- Share Your Success for a Chance To Win £100 Shopping Vouchers
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Lee
- 10 Signs That You're Ready For A New Career
- 5 HR Tactics You Can Steal From Google’s Groundbreaking Analytics Team
- The Three Things to Get You Out on a Run
- Promoting Equality in the Workplace
- The Benefits of High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Laura | Online CIPD Level 5 Review
- Learn to Love Learning in 4 Simple Steps
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Ashley | Online CIPD Level 3 Review
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Jacqui | CIPD L&D Level 3 Review
- Infographic: What to Wear to Work Out
- Teach Your Kids to be Money Smart
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Sophia | Personal Training Course Review
- Fitness Friday: Meet Annie Bean
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Samuel | Online GCSE Maths Review
- The Science of Happiness: 5 Ways to Boost Your Wellbeing
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Ruby | Online CIPD Level 5 Review
- Fitness Friday: The Importance of Rest Days
- How Will Brexit Affect HR and Recruitment?
- Create A Printable GCSE and A Level Study Planner
- 12 Tips for Handling Difficult Conversations at Work
- How to Get a Job in Procurement & Supply
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Lewis | IGCSE English Language Review
- The 7 Time Management Mistakes That Are Ruining Your Productivity
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Audrey | Online GCSE Maths Review
- How to Give Constructive Feedback
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Klaudia | Online CIPD Level 7 Review
- 8 Tips for Students Starting an Online Learning Programme
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Rebecca | CIPD L&D Level 3 Review
- The 12 Best Health and Fitness Apps for Beginners 2017
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Samantha | Online AAT Advanced Review
- Top Tips for Triathlon Training
- We’re Launching All-Inclusive AAT Programmes for Businesses
- Triathlete Michael Hindmarch on Training, Competing and the European Championships
- 3 Ways to Land Your First HR Job
- How to Look After Your Mental Health as a Student
- Infographic: What To Do If You Fail Your GCSEs
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Adam | Online AAT Accounting Review
- A Level Results: What to Do If You Didn’t Get The Grades You Need (2017 Update)
- GCSE Results: What to Do if You Didn’t Get the Grades You Need (2017 Update)
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Sarah | Online CIPD Level 7 Review
- ICS Real Stories: Lewis's IGCSE English Language Results
- ICS Real Stories: Laura's GCSE Maths Results