Our inspiring student Jacqui Chudleigh reviews becoming a personal trainer at 55 with our online YMCA Awards Level 2 and 3 Combined Course.
Studying the YMCA Awards course has opened up a whole new way of life for me.
I’m 55 years old, and absolutely love the gym, but it wasn’t always like that.
Four years ago, I was very overweight, running a music education business, and feeling quite depressed a lot of the time.
I went to the gym occasionally, but just because I felt I should rather than that I wanted to. Exercise was a chore that I felt I didn’t have time for. I didn’t feel confident enough to venture into the gym too often.
In 2014 I had a major health issue, as well as other factors in my life that completely turned me around.
Rather than feeling that these were negative events, I started having personal training sessions with my son, who is a PT and now runs his own gym. I loved it! I became fitter, stronger, healthier and happier.
I have taken part in events that I never thought possible, such as cycling sportives and runs (I always hated running!) I have found that I do have muscles (!!) and especially enjoy strength training and HIIT workouts.
As time went by, I really felt that I wanted to pass this feeling I had gained from exercise onto other women, especially women (and men) of a similar age to myself.
I want to prove that anything is possible, no matter what your age, ability or your own perception of yourself.
I started looking into training as a Personal Trainer. ICS Learn appealed to me as I could fit the studying in around my family life, and complete the course in my own time.
I opted for the Combined Level 2 and Level 3 and have thoroughly enjoyed the learning experience.
Learning with ICS Learn has been a lot easier than I thought! It’s been a long time since I studied, so I was a little concerned about learning about the anatomy etc., but the videos, quizzes and curriculum material made it all very clear and enjoyable to learn.
The tutor support has been great, as there is always someone available to ask any questions, and to give feedback on the work.
The assessments have been good too. I like that they are mainly multiple choice, and are placed at the end of each section of learning, which gives me confidence to continue.
Balancing my family and work life with studying was a major concern, as my life is pretty hectic! Being able to ‘dip in and out’ of the material has been great, although I have found the course so addictive that I’m often sat learning for hours!
Learning with ICS Learn has been amazing, and I am excited about the future.
I will be working at The Mint Yard, my son’s gym, and already have clients waiting for me to qualify which is really exciting.
I would say to anyone looking to learn with ICS Learn – just do it! Don’t worry about age, time, or any other factors, as it is very ‘student friendly’.
Definitely the best decision I’ve made in a long time!
Find out more about becoming a REPs-recognised personal trainer online.
Download Your Free Guide
- ICS Learn Open Day Facebook Live Event
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Abi
- 10 Simple Tips To Help You Learn Faster
- What We Learned From The CIPD Show 2016
- 3 Learning Styles and Why They’re Vital
- Share Your Success for a Chance To Win £100 Shopping Vouchers
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Lee
- 10 Signs That You're Ready For A New Career
- 5 HR Tactics You Can Steal From Google’s Groundbreaking Analytics Team
- The Three Things to Get You Out on a Run
- Promoting Equality in the Workplace
- The Benefits of High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Laura | Online CIPD Level 5 Review
- Learn to Love Learning in 4 Simple Steps
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Ashley | Online CIPD Level 3 Review
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Jacqui | CIPD L&D Level 3 Review
- Infographic: What to Wear to Work Out
- Teach Your Kids to be Money Smart
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Sophia | Personal Training Course Review
- Fitness Friday: Meet Annie Bean
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Samuel | Online GCSE Maths Review
- The Science of Happiness: 5 Ways to Boost Your Wellbeing
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Ruby | Online CIPD Level 5 Review
- Fitness Friday: The Importance of Rest Days
- How Will Brexit Affect HR and Recruitment?
- Create A Printable GCSE and A Level Study Planner
- 12 Tips for Handling Difficult Conversations at Work
- How to Get a Job in Procurement & Supply
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Lewis | IGCSE English Language Review
- The 7 Time Management Mistakes That Are Ruining Your Productivity
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Audrey | Online GCSE Maths Review
- How to Give Constructive Feedback
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Klaudia | Online CIPD Level 7 Review
- 8 Tips for Students Starting an Online Learning Programme
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Rebecca | CIPD L&D Level 3 Review
- The 12 Best Health and Fitness Apps for Beginners 2017
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Samantha | Online AAT Advanced Review
- Top Tips for Triathlon Training
- We’re Launching All-Inclusive AAT Programmes for Businesses
- Triathlete Michael Hindmarch on Training, Competing and the European Championships
- 3 Ways to Land Your First HR Job
- How to Look After Your Mental Health as a Student
- Infographic: What To Do If You Fail Your GCSEs
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Adam | Online AAT Accounting Review
- A Level Results: What to Do If You Didn’t Get The Grades You Need (2017 Update)
- GCSE Results: What to Do if You Didn’t Get the Grades You Need (2017 Update)
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Sarah | Online CIPD Level 7 Review
- ICS Real Stories: Lewis's IGCSE English Language Results
- ICS Real Stories: Laura's GCSE Maths Results