If you’re used to hitting the gym in a band t-shirt from 2006 and a pair of slightly-see-through Primark leggings, you might be wondering: why does it matter what you wear? Isn’t it going to get all sweaty and gross anyway?
The answer is “enclothed cognition”. This odd-sounding term was coined by psychologists Hajo Adam and Adam D. Galinsky when they showed that what you wear influences how you feel, what you think, and how you perform related tasks. Put simply, if you dress like a bona fide gym bunny, you’re much more likely to become one.
In The Atlantic’s article, The Psychology of Lululemon, personal trainer and psychologist Susan Rudnicki explained:
“I see girls at hatha yoga wearing Lululemon clothes, and they look the part, and I think: They must be really good. They have their life together. I’m an instructor, and even I feel that.”
When we see others wearing the “right” outfit, we feel that they must be empowered. So when we wear that outfit too, we make ourselves feel empowered.
You can use this to your advantage: instead of promising yourself, “I will go to the gym tomorrow morning,” which conjures daunting images of sweaty effort, try the much more attractive “I will put my shiny new gym clothes on tomorrow morning.” Then let the motivation carry you forward from there.
And this psychological benefit is just the cherry on top of the (vegan, low-cal, fat-dairy-gluten-free) cake: the physical benefits of having the right gear for the job are manifold.
The right clothing can keep you warm when you’re running outdoors in winter and cool when you’re sweating indoors or during the hotter months. They can protect from injury or help you recover faster. And one size definitely does not fit all: the shoes you wear for running will be very different to the shoes you wear for weightlifting, for instance.
Whether you want to exercise in a burqa or streamline your swimming performance, our infographic will give you the knowledge you need to get the best kit for the job.
If you’re passionate about fitness and want to make a difference to other people, a personal training qualification from ICS Learn might be the right way forward for you. Do it from your own gym at your own pace and sit your exams from home! Contact us today to speak to one of our advisors and find out all you need to know.
Get Your Free Course Guide
- ICS Learn Open Day Facebook Live Event
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Abi
- 10 Simple Tips To Help You Learn Faster
- What We Learned From The CIPD Show 2016
- 3 Learning Styles and Why They’re Vital
- Share Your Success for a Chance To Win £100 Shopping Vouchers
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Lee
- 10 Signs That You're Ready For A New Career
- 5 HR Tactics You Can Steal From Google’s Groundbreaking Analytics Team
- The Three Things to Get You Out on a Run
- Promoting Equality in the Workplace
- The Benefits of High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Laura | Online CIPD Level 5 Review
- Learn to Love Learning in 4 Simple Steps
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Ashley | Online CIPD Level 3 Review
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Jacqui | CIPD L&D Level 3 Review
- Infographic: What to Wear to Work Out
- Teach Your Kids to be Money Smart
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Sophia | Personal Training Course Review
- Fitness Friday: Meet Annie Bean
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Samuel | Online GCSE Maths Review
- The Science of Happiness: 5 Ways to Boost Your Wellbeing
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Ruby | Online CIPD Level 5 Review
- Fitness Friday: The Importance of Rest Days
- How Will Brexit Affect HR and Recruitment?
- Create A Printable GCSE and A Level Study Planner
- 12 Tips for Handling Difficult Conversations at Work
- How to Get a Job in Procurement & Supply
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Lewis | IGCSE English Language Review
- The 7 Time Management Mistakes That Are Ruining Your Productivity
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Audrey | Online GCSE Maths Review
- How to Give Constructive Feedback
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Klaudia | Online CIPD Level 7 Review
- 8 Tips for Students Starting an Online Learning Programme
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Rebecca | CIPD L&D Level 3 Review
- The 12 Best Health and Fitness Apps for Beginners 2017
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Samantha | Online AAT Advanced Review
- Top Tips for Triathlon Training
- We’re Launching All-Inclusive AAT Programmes for Businesses
- Triathlete Michael Hindmarch on Training, Competing and the European Championships
- 3 Ways to Land Your First HR Job
- How to Look After Your Mental Health as a Student
- Infographic: What To Do If You Fail Your GCSEs
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Adam | Online AAT Accounting Review
- A Level Results: What to Do If You Didn’t Get The Grades You Need (2017 Update)
- GCSE Results: What to Do if You Didn’t Get the Grades You Need (2017 Update)
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Sarah | Online CIPD Level 7 Review
- ICS Real Stories: Lewis's IGCSE English Language Results
- ICS Real Stories: Laura's GCSE Maths Results