Our fantastic student Ruby Lawrence reviews her journey to getting CIPD qualified with our online CIPD Level 5 Diploma in Human Resource Management.
I am currently working as an Executive Assistant to the CEO of a small financial services organisation. My job is really varied, and as the organisation is still relatively small we only have a part time HR Manager so I complete a lot of the HR Administration.
As I have been taking on more HR tasks and responsibilities, I started to look into what qualifications I could complete to enhance my career options within HR.
After doing some research, completing the Intermediate Diploma in Human Resource Management seemed like a really good way to enhance my knowledge and provide me with a professionally recognised qualification and CIPD membership.
I found the ICS Learn website and registered my interest in the Diploma and requested a brochure. I instantly received an email to my inbox with the brochure and the next day was contacted by one of ICS Learn’s lovely sales representatives.
The sales representative was really helpful and not at all pushy (like some of the other learning providers were!) – he understood that I needed time to think about the course and consider the payment options.
The main reason I decided to enroll with ICS Learn was the flexibility offered – I am not tied down to attending physical lessons and I am able to work at my own pace at times that suit me.
If I am having a really busy week or am away on holiday I can just pause my studies and pick up where I left off on my return.
On the other hand, I can also complete work really quickly when I have time to do so – I managed to complete one of the modules in a week!
In my experience, the tutors are really quick to mark work and answer any questions or queries.
As well as the flexibility of the learning, the payment options were equally as attractive. As I have self-funded the course, I was unable to pay the whole cost of the course upfront. Instead, I paid a deposit and have been paying in monthly installments, which has really helped financially.
It can be tricky balancing work, social life, studies and time to relax. My approach so far has been to do little and often when reading through the course materials, and then dedicating one day at the weekend to write the module assignment.
Although it does take up a large section of my free time, the course content is really interesting and it is so rewarding seeing the progress I am making. I am already finding myself referring back to things I have learnt in real life work situations!
I started the Diploma in mid October and I am currently about half way through – I hope to finish by the summer and then I will focus on searching for a new role to progress my career in HR.
I am already thinking about completing the Advanced Diploma in Human Resources Management, and if I do, I will definitely complete it with ICS Learn.
If Ruby's story has inspired you to try your hand at HR, take a look at our range of CIPD Diplomas, Certificates and Awards.
Download Your Free Guide
- ICS Learn Open Day Facebook Live Event
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Abi
- 10 Simple Tips To Help You Learn Faster
- What We Learned From The CIPD Show 2016
- 3 Learning Styles and Why They’re Vital
- Share Your Success for a Chance To Win £100 Shopping Vouchers
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Lee
- 10 Signs That You're Ready For A New Career
- 5 HR Tactics You Can Steal From Google’s Groundbreaking Analytics Team
- The Three Things to Get You Out on a Run
- Promoting Equality in the Workplace
- The Benefits of High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Laura | Online CIPD Level 5 Review
- Learn to Love Learning in 4 Simple Steps
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Ashley | Online CIPD Level 3 Review
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Jacqui | CIPD L&D Level 3 Review
- Infographic: What to Wear to Work Out
- Teach Your Kids to be Money Smart
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Sophia | Personal Training Course Review
- Fitness Friday: Meet Annie Bean
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Samuel | Online GCSE Maths Review
- The Science of Happiness: 5 Ways to Boost Your Wellbeing
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Ruby | Online CIPD Level 5 Review
- Fitness Friday: The Importance of Rest Days
- How Will Brexit Affect HR and Recruitment?
- Create A Printable GCSE and A Level Study Planner
- 12 Tips for Handling Difficult Conversations at Work
- How to Get a Job in Procurement & Supply
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Lewis | IGCSE English Language Review
- The 7 Time Management Mistakes That Are Ruining Your Productivity
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Audrey | Online GCSE Maths Review
- How to Give Constructive Feedback
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Klaudia | Online CIPD Level 7 Review
- 8 Tips for Students Starting an Online Learning Programme
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Rebecca | CIPD L&D Level 3 Review
- The 12 Best Health and Fitness Apps for Beginners 2017
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Samantha | Online AAT Advanced Review
- Top Tips for Triathlon Training
- We’re Launching All-Inclusive AAT Programmes for Businesses
- Triathlete Michael Hindmarch on Training, Competing and the European Championships
- 3 Ways to Land Your First HR Job
- How to Look After Your Mental Health as a Student
- Infographic: What To Do If You Fail Your GCSEs
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Adam | Online AAT Accounting Review
- A Level Results: What to Do If You Didn’t Get The Grades You Need (2017 Update)
- GCSE Results: What to Do if You Didn’t Get the Grades You Need (2017 Update)
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Sarah | Online CIPD Level 7 Review
- ICS Real Stories: Lewis's IGCSE English Language Results
- ICS Real Stories: Laura's GCSE Maths Results