One of our top personal training tutors, Michael Hindmarch, is heading off to the 2017 Kitzbuhel ETU Standard Distance Triathlon European Championships tomorrow! A triathlon, for those not in the know, is a competition where you complete three different events - usually swimming, running, and then cycling - in immediate succession.
This is what Michael had to say about his history of triathlon training, and what it means to him:
“This will be my 9th year competing in Triathlon starting back in 2008 by entering Ripon standard distance. I’ve always been into fitness, having worked as a Fitness instructor for years. I entered mainly for the challenge, and to do something a bit different.
“I was in reasonably good shape from teaching indoor cycling, and I could run a 10k in a decent time, but I wasn’t specifically fit. By that I mean I’d only swam regularly on holiday, and I had never done the three things together. In the end, I entered it, finished it, and came about 240th - but the main thing was, I loved it!
“Over time it became more and more serious: my kit got better, as did my training and my results. I joined a local tri-and-running club and really got into it. Now I’m at the point where I race most of the summer over sprint, standard and half ironman distance, and have picked up some good results locally, winning the North East grand prix last year, and competing for GBR at the European champs."
Michael also provided us with his top five tips for taking part in a triathlon.
"Enter the race before you have time to talk yourself out of it, it is scary getting into a lake in a wetsuit at 8am but you need that goal. If you don’t enter you’ll never get round to it!"
Do it for fun most of all
"Do it to enjoy it, who cares where you come or if you make a mistake? I’ve made countless mistakes e.g. going the wrong way on bike, losing bike in transition. Your first few (if you do more than one) are about learning and enjoyment."
Join your local club
"I’m a member of an excellent club where we all support each other. Training with like-minded people certainly helps you develop and you can share hints and tips."
Get used to switching track
"Get used to multi-discipline training. Adjusting to this will help reduce the jelly-legged feeling after the cycling portion of the race."
Have confidence in your kit
"Perform regular practice in your kit so that you get used to it, and also to ensure that it's going to last you throughout your event."
If you want more advice from our great tutors, sign up for a personal training course with us today! Learn all about how to stay fit, and then help others with your new qualification.
Get Your Free Course Guide
- ICS Learn Open Day Facebook Live Event
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Abi
- 10 Simple Tips To Help You Learn Faster
- What We Learned From The CIPD Show 2016
- 3 Learning Styles and Why They’re Vital
- Share Your Success for a Chance To Win £100 Shopping Vouchers
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Lee
- 10 Signs That You're Ready For A New Career
- 5 HR Tactics You Can Steal From Google’s Groundbreaking Analytics Team
- The Three Things to Get You Out on a Run
- Promoting Equality in the Workplace
- The Benefits of High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Laura | Online CIPD Level 5 Review
- Learn to Love Learning in 4 Simple Steps
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Ashley | Online CIPD Level 3 Review
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Jacqui | CIPD L&D Level 3 Review
- Infographic: What to Wear to Work Out
- Teach Your Kids to be Money Smart
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Sophia | Personal Training Course Review
- Fitness Friday: Meet Annie Bean
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Samuel | Online GCSE Maths Review
- The Science of Happiness: 5 Ways to Boost Your Wellbeing
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Ruby | Online CIPD Level 5 Review
- Fitness Friday: The Importance of Rest Days
- How Will Brexit Affect HR and Recruitment?
- Create A Printable GCSE and A Level Study Planner
- 12 Tips for Handling Difficult Conversations at Work
- How to Get a Job in Procurement & Supply
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Lewis | IGCSE English Language Review
- The 7 Time Management Mistakes That Are Ruining Your Productivity
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Audrey | Online GCSE Maths Review
- How to Give Constructive Feedback
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Klaudia | Online CIPD Level 7 Review
- 8 Tips for Students Starting an Online Learning Programme
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Rebecca | CIPD L&D Level 3 Review
- The 12 Best Health and Fitness Apps for Beginners 2017
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Samantha | Online AAT Advanced Review
- Top Tips for Triathlon Training
- We’re Launching All-Inclusive AAT Programmes for Businesses
- Triathlete Michael Hindmarch on Training, Competing and the European Championships
- 3 Ways to Land Your First HR Job
- How to Look After Your Mental Health as a Student
- Infographic: What To Do If You Fail Your GCSEs
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Adam | Online AAT Accounting Review
- A Level Results: What to Do If You Didn’t Get The Grades You Need (2017 Update)
- GCSE Results: What to Do if You Didn’t Get the Grades You Need (2017 Update)
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Sarah | Online CIPD Level 7 Review
- ICS Real Stories: Lewis's IGCSE English Language Results
- ICS Real Stories: Laura's GCSE Maths Results