Our amazing student Sarah Watts tells us about her journey to getting CIPD qualified and gives her review of our online Level 7 Advanced Diploma in HR Management.
I had previously worked in staff development, and while I enjoyed delivering training, I always thought that a more generalist role in HR would suit me better.
This would give me an opportunity to work with individuals more, over a longer period of time, to really influence different aspects of the organisation.
When an opportunity came up to work as an HR Adviser I jumped at the chance.
It is a very varied role, supporting both managers and employees with all HR processes. No two days are the same.
I have gained huge on the job experience in the role, but also wanted to back this up with a formal HR qualification. I wanted to develop my knowledge further and prepare myself for career development should the opportunity arise.
I chose the CIPD because their qualifications are the recognised professional standard for HR specialists.
My HR Director encouraged me to take this route rather than do an MA, as she felt the CIPD qualifications were more about applying the theory in practice.
I decided to take the plunge and go straight for the Level 7 Diploma in HR Management, and chose ICS Learn because their course was good value and seemed the most flexible in terms of how I could study.
Working full time as well as having two young children at home it was important that I could work at my own pace and not have to commit to attending a lot of workshops or seminars.
The two workshops* I have attended on this course were a great opportunity to meet other students, and share our experiences of both studying and working in HR. The workshop that focused on the modules that had exams was especially useful, as the tutor gave us really good advice on how to approach each question and structure our answers.
The tutors generally have been great, and are happy to talk through any queries I had or guide me in the right direction when it came to assignments.
I feel like I’ve grown in confidence through doing this course, and it was fantastic to get a Merit in my recent exam.
I’ve learned so much about the theories that underpin good HR and management practices that I was able to include in my answers, as well as applying it to real-life business examples.
I’ve now got one more exam to take and then hopefully I’ll have finished my course in just over 3 years, which for a Level 7 course I think is pretty good going!
I hope that the knowledge I’ve gained through my studies will support me in my career and benefit the organisation I work for in terms of the HR advice and support I’m able to offer.
Find out more about our online CIPD HR courses.
*Our HR courses are now fully online, so they're even easier to fit around work and family.
Get Your Free Course Guide
- ICS Learn Open Day Facebook Live Event
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Abi
- 10 Simple Tips To Help You Learn Faster
- What We Learned From The CIPD Show 2016
- 3 Learning Styles and Why They’re Vital
- Share Your Success for a Chance To Win £100 Shopping Vouchers
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Lee
- 10 Signs That You're Ready For A New Career
- 5 HR Tactics You Can Steal From Google’s Groundbreaking Analytics Team
- The Three Things to Get You Out on a Run
- Promoting Equality in the Workplace
- The Benefits of High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Laura | Online CIPD Level 5 Review
- Learn to Love Learning in 4 Simple Steps
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Ashley | Online CIPD Level 3 Review
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Jacqui | CIPD L&D Level 3 Review
- Infographic: What to Wear to Work Out
- Teach Your Kids to be Money Smart
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Sophia | Personal Training Course Review
- Fitness Friday: Meet Annie Bean
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Samuel | Online GCSE Maths Review
- The Science of Happiness: 5 Ways to Boost Your Wellbeing
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Ruby | Online CIPD Level 5 Review
- Fitness Friday: The Importance of Rest Days
- How Will Brexit Affect HR and Recruitment?
- Create A Printable GCSE and A Level Study Planner
- 12 Tips for Handling Difficult Conversations at Work
- How to Get a Job in Procurement & Supply
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Lewis | IGCSE English Language Review
- The 7 Time Management Mistakes That Are Ruining Your Productivity
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Audrey | Online GCSE Maths Review
- How to Give Constructive Feedback
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Klaudia | Online CIPD Level 7 Review
- 8 Tips for Students Starting an Online Learning Programme
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Rebecca | CIPD L&D Level 3 Review
- The 12 Best Health and Fitness Apps for Beginners 2017
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Samantha | Online AAT Advanced Review
- Top Tips for Triathlon Training
- We’re Launching All-Inclusive AAT Programmes for Businesses
- Triathlete Michael Hindmarch on Training, Competing and the European Championships
- 3 Ways to Land Your First HR Job
- How to Look After Your Mental Health as a Student
- Infographic: What To Do If You Fail Your GCSEs
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Adam | Online AAT Accounting Review
- A Level Results: What to Do If You Didn’t Get The Grades You Need (2017 Update)
- GCSE Results: What to Do if You Didn’t Get the Grades You Need (2017 Update)
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Sarah | Online CIPD Level 7 Review
- ICS Real Stories: Lewis's IGCSE English Language Results
- ICS Real Stories: Laura's GCSE Maths Results