Name: Charlotte Maslin
I’m currently halfway through a Level 5 qualification in Human Resources. I’m 32 now, and I only recently made the decision to pursue a career in HR. For the past 5 years or so, I had been floundering, doing customer service and admin jobs but not really knowing what I wanted to do.
After school, I went to university and completed a degree in psychology. After graduating, I wanted to become a psychologist. I spent several years working in the social sector in order to gain experience.
After having a few jobs in social care, I came to the conclusion that as much as I had enjoyed my experiences, that I didn’t want to have a career in psychology or the social sector at all.
After this, I did a job in admin which had some elements of HR. It was down to this, along with my continued interest in working with people, that I considered embarking on a new career in HR. I firstly looked at doing a one day per week course at college, but I couldn’t afford to reduce my working hours.
I did some research on distance learning and compared ICS Learn to some other companies. I found ICS Learn to be the most competitive, and it had great reviews and years of experience. The course is also affiliated with CIPD, the body for HR in the UK.
Due to the fact that I have worked full-time throughout my course, I definitely would not have been able to study any other way. Distance learning has been perfect for me, as I can choose when it suits me to study, and all I have to do is log in to the ICS Learn Student Community, open my e-learning books and everything is there in front of me.
I started my course last August, and have found it really interesting and enjoyable. The Student Community is great, I have had lots of advice from other students on my course, and have hopefully helped others as well. The tutors are also great and provide help whenever it’s needed.
I am starting my new job as an HR Assistant next month. I am so over the moon to be embarking on a career that I have chosen in a field that I love. It is only through being enrolled on this HR course that I even got considered for this role and that I am able to leave my current job in a call centre.
Thank you, ICS Learn!
Inspired by Charlotte’s success? Click here to find out more about studying HR with us, or speak to our specialist CIPD course advisors by phone, email or webchat using the details at the top of the page. We’re happy to help!
Request More Information
- ICS Learn Open Day Facebook Live Event
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Abi
- 10 Simple Tips To Help You Learn Faster
- What We Learned From The CIPD Show 2016
- 3 Learning Styles and Why They’re Vital
- Share Your Success for a Chance To Win £100 Shopping Vouchers
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Lee
- 10 Signs That You're Ready For A New Career
- 5 HR Tactics You Can Steal From Google’s Groundbreaking Analytics Team
- The Three Things to Get You Out on a Run
- Promoting Equality in the Workplace
- The Benefits of High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Laura
- Learn to Love Learning in 4 Simple Steps
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Ashley
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Jacqui
- Infographic: What to Wear to Work Out
- Teach Your Kids to be Money Smart
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Sophia
- Fitness Friday: Meet Annie Bean
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Samuel
- The Science of Happiness: 5 Ways to Boost Your Wellbeing
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Ruby
- Fitness Friday: The Importance of Rest Days
- How Will Brexit Affect HR and Recruitment?
- Create A Printable GCSE and A Level Study Planner
- 12 Tips for Handling Difficult Conversations at Work
- How to Get a Job in Procurement & Supply
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Lewis
- The 7 Time Management Mistakes That Are Ruining Your Productivity
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Audrey
- How to Give Constructive Feedback
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Klaudia