Name: Alice Pughe
Course: IGCSE Biology
Before my son was born in 2007 I had had a variety of jobs, ranging from restaurant manager to bank clerk.
However, my priorities completely changed now that I had another person relying on me for everything, and the time came to get a career.
There was an obvious career that would suit my main concern - being a mum - and that was teaching. So when my son was 6 months old I began the long process of gaining a BA (Hons) in History from the Open University.
Initially I planned to teach in secondary education. However, on qualifying as teaching assistant (which I did whilst doing my degree and, of course, raising a child) and working in both primary and secondary schools, I realised my heart lay in primary.
Therein lay the problem; to do so I needed a C Science GCSE. Unfortunately, I had only achieved DD the first time round.
Once I had gained my degree I began to look for the means of retaking a Science GCSE. Whilst there were ample opportunities to do Maths and English GCSEs, it was hard to find anywhere offering Sciences. I found ICS Learn, and it was perfect for me as I was accustomed to distance learning.
I applied to study a Primary PGCE and was delighted to receive a conditional offer in January; the condition being a B in a Science subject. I was delighted to be able to study Biology as it had always been the part of science that interested me most.
So having arranged my exams for June I set to working through the syllabus. The way the syllabus was presented was extremely easy to access and very user-friendly in terms of both study and revision.
I studied for around 10 hours a week, splitting it over the weekday evenings. It is certainly challenging juggling work, family life and study but so long as you are committed and realistic it is entirely possible and very rewarding.
It was a long old wait for the results in August but worth it as I achieved an A! So in a week I shall begin my PGCE.
Distance learning has allowed me to complete change my career and therefore life and I would recommend it to everyone and anyone.
To find out more about taking your GCSEs or IGCSEs with us, have a look at the subjects we do, then get in touch. You can chat online to our expert course advisors using the red button at the top of the page, or by phone or email. We’re happy to help!
Download Your Free Guide
- ICS Learn Open Day Facebook Live Event
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Abi
- 10 Simple Tips To Help You Learn Faster
- What We Learned From The CIPD Show 2016
- 3 Learning Styles and Why They’re Vital
- Share Your Success for a Chance To Win £100 Shopping Vouchers
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Lee
- 10 Signs That You're Ready For A New Career
- 5 HR Tactics You Can Steal From Google’s Groundbreaking Analytics Team
- The Three Things to Get You Out on a Run
- Promoting Equality in the Workplace
- The Benefits of High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Laura | Online CIPD Level 5 Review
- Learn to Love Learning in 4 Simple Steps
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Ashley | Online CIPD Level 3 Review
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Jacqui | CIPD L&D Level 3 Review
- Infographic: What to Wear to Work Out
- Teach Your Kids to be Money Smart
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Sophia | Personal Training Course Review
- Fitness Friday: Meet Annie Bean
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Samuel | Online GCSE Maths Review
- The Science of Happiness: 5 Ways to Boost Your Wellbeing
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Ruby | Online CIPD Level 5 Review
- Fitness Friday: The Importance of Rest Days
- How Will Brexit Affect HR and Recruitment?
- Create A Printable GCSE and A Level Study Planner
- 12 Tips for Handling Difficult Conversations at Work
- How to Get a Job in Procurement & Supply
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Lewis | IGCSE English Language Review
- The 7 Time Management Mistakes That Are Ruining Your Productivity
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Audrey | Online GCSE Maths Review
- How to Give Constructive Feedback
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Klaudia | Online CIPD Level 7 Review
- 8 Tips for Students Starting an Online Learning Programme
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Rebecca | CIPD L&D Level 3 Review
- The 12 Best Health and Fitness Apps for Beginners 2017
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Samantha | Online AAT Advanced Review
- Top Tips for Triathlon Training
- We’re Launching All-Inclusive AAT Programmes for Businesses
- Triathlete Michael Hindmarch on Training, Competing and the European Championships
- 3 Ways to Land Your First HR Job
- How to Look After Your Mental Health as a Student
- Infographic: What To Do If You Fail Your GCSEs
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Adam | Online AAT Accounting Review
- A Level Results: What to Do If You Didn’t Get The Grades You Need (2017 Update)
- GCSE Results: What to Do if You Didn’t Get the Grades You Need (2017 Update)
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Sarah | Online CIPD Level 7 Review
- ICS Real Stories: Lewis's IGCSE English Language Results
- ICS Real Stories: Laura's GCSE Maths Results