The A Level reform will bring with it the biggest change the system has seen in over a decade. These reforms can be quite confusing, so we've tried our best to explain how the changes affect your studies and have highlighted a few key issues for your attention and consideration.
Changes are being made to both A Level specifications (the content of what is being taught/studied) and A Level examinations.
The new specifications, first released in September 2015, will affect the following of our A Level subjects:
The new specifications are to be taught in colleges and schools from September 2015 onwards. The first A Level examinations under the new specifications will be held in June 2017. Ofqual, the exams regulator, will be responsible for approving the overhauled course content. Many haven't been approved yet, so even teachers are unsure of what they're actually going to teach from September 2015.
Another major change is that the AS Levels will be detached from A Levels which means that they will no longer count towards A Level grades.
What does all this mean for you?
If you enrol with ICS today on any of the above courses, your last chance to sit the appropriate exam is the 2016 June diet. Your AS certification will not be carried forward to the new qualifications, so if you wish to complete the A Level, the 2016 June diet is the last point to have completed both the AS and A2 elements.
Our product team is currently working on developing the new materials for the new specifications. They will first be taught from September 2015.
There will be a second round of A Level courses which will go through this reform, including our A Level Maths. We will follow the same procedure next year.
If you enrol on any of the above A Level courses with us in or after September 2015, you will have to decide which exam diet you are aiming to sit. If it's the 2016 one, we will enrol you on the old specification. However, if you're aiming for the 2017 examination diet, you will study the new A Level content.
We hope this blog helps you to understand the changes, but understand that they can be confusing. If you're still unsure of what the changes mean for you, please don't hesitate to contact our course advisors on 0800 096 8412 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Your Free Course Guide
- ICS Learn Open Day Facebook Live Event
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Abi
- 10 Simple Tips To Help You Learn Faster
- What We Learned From The CIPD Show 2016
- 3 Learning Styles and Why They’re Vital
- Share Your Success for a Chance To Win £100 Shopping Vouchers
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Lee
- 10 Signs That You're Ready For A New Career
- 5 HR Tactics You Can Steal From Google’s Groundbreaking Analytics Team
- The Three Things to Get You Out on a Run
- Promoting Equality in the Workplace
- The Benefits of High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Laura | Online CIPD Level 5 Review
- Learn to Love Learning in 4 Simple Steps
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Ashley | Online CIPD Level 3 Review
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Jacqui | CIPD L&D Level 3 Review
- Infographic: What to Wear to Work Out
- Teach Your Kids to be Money Smart
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Sophia | Personal Training Course Review
- Fitness Friday: Meet Annie Bean
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Samuel | Online GCSE Maths Review
- The Science of Happiness: 5 Ways to Boost Your Wellbeing
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Ruby | Online CIPD Level 5 Review
- Fitness Friday: The Importance of Rest Days
- How Will Brexit Affect HR and Recruitment?
- Create A Printable GCSE and A Level Study Planner
- 12 Tips for Handling Difficult Conversations at Work
- How to Get a Job in Procurement & Supply
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Lewis | IGCSE English Language Review
- The 7 Time Management Mistakes That Are Ruining Your Productivity
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Audrey | Online GCSE Maths Review
- How to Give Constructive Feedback
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Klaudia | Online CIPD Level 7 Review
- 8 Tips for Students Starting an Online Learning Programme
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Rebecca | CIPD L&D Level 3 Review
- The 12 Best Health and Fitness Apps for Beginners 2017
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Samantha | Online AAT Advanced Review
- Top Tips for Triathlon Training
- We’re Launching All-Inclusive AAT Programmes for Businesses
- Triathlete Michael Hindmarch on Training, Competing and the European Championships
- 3 Ways to Land Your First HR Job
- How to Look After Your Mental Health as a Student
- Infographic: What To Do If You Fail Your GCSEs
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Adam | Online AAT Accounting Review
- A Level Results: What to Do If You Didn’t Get The Grades You Need (2017 Update)
- GCSE Results: What to Do if You Didn’t Get the Grades You Need (2017 Update)
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Sarah | Online CIPD Level 7 Review
- ICS Real Stories: Lewis's IGCSE English Language Results
- ICS Real Stories: Laura's GCSE Maths Results