Lives in: Birmingham
Currently studying: BSc Nursing Top-up
Why ICS? The flexibility and easy-to-access online course structure.
Ann-Kathrin was working as a staff nurse in acute emergency medicine when she decided to enrol on our BSc Nusing Top-up course. The distance learning course is designed for UK registered nurses with a Higher Education Diploma who would like to further their professional development. It's accredited by Napier University and leaves graduates with a bachelor's degree in nursing.
"I chose the distance learning course because I wanted to develop my knowledge and skills as a nurse. I was eager to learn more, " Ann-Kathrin explains. She came across ICS whilst browsing the Internet and liked the fact that the course was flexible and easy to access online.
Cost was also a persuading factor. She tells us, "The flexible payment plan with ICS made it easier to self fund for my degree."
"When they are sick, I stand by them and make them better"
The opportunity to make a difference is the reason Ann-Kathrin pursued a nursing career in the first place. Helping improve the lives of her patients is what she enjoys most about the job.
"I enjoy looking after patients and making a difference. When they are sick, I stand by them and make them better."
Ann-Kathrin's passion for patient care drives her career ambitions. Her long-term goal is to become a nurse consultant and teach at university level.
"I have proved them wrong"
Whilst the BSc Nursing Top-up course is demanding as it is, Ann-Kathrin faced an additional hurdle. Originally from Germany, English is not her first language. Although she knew this would be a challenge, she didn't let it stop her.
"As English is not my first language, I had a few problems with the words. I would look them up and spend hours revising terminology.
"There were some people telling me that I would never complete the BSc in Nursing, but I have proved them wrong and now they respect me more for what I have achieved."
"My determination pulled me through"
Working full time whilst enrolled on the course, Ann-Kathrin fit her coursework in whenever she could find the time. She studied on days off, evenings, weekends and during her annual leave.
"At first I found it tough working full time and studying for the degree, however, after a while I become more determined to complete the course. I found the course enjoyable, even though hard at times."
For Ann-Kathrin, the most challenging part of her experience was when she failed an essay and had to resubmit it.
"I decided to look at the feedback, take it on board and work on it for resubmission, and that's how I passed. I found that my determination to complete the course pulled me through.
"In the end studying for the BSc in Nursing has paid off and I am happy I have achieved my goal and completed the degree."
"The BSc has opened doors for me"
After completing the top-up course and receiving her degree, Ann-Kathrin decided to pursue her master's. She'll start this next wave of education in January or February 2015, doing one module at Birmingham City University and the remainder through Edinburgh Napier.
"The BSc has opened doors for me to study my master's in nursing and then hopefully go on to do a PhD course. It has taught me a lot and how to apply the knowledge I have gained to my clinical practice."
"Be prepared to work hard"
When asked what advice she would give other students enrolled on the nursing top-up course, Ann-Kathrin emphasises the importance of hard work and determination.
"Always explore your options and seek help if you don't understand something. Mentors at ICS Learn are there to help you. And if you do fail an essay for any reason, just read your feedback and work to improve it for resubmission.
"If you have the determination and commitment, then this course will be for you. However, be prepared to work hard!"
Watch out for more 'ICS Real Stories' right here on our blog. In the meantime, learn more about our BSc Nursing Top-up course.
Download Your Free Guide
- ICS Learn Open Day Facebook Live Event
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Abi
- 10 Simple Tips To Help You Learn Faster
- What We Learned From The CIPD Show 2016
- 3 Learning Styles and Why They’re Vital
- Share Your Success for a Chance To Win £100 Shopping Vouchers
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Lee
- 10 Signs That You're Ready For A New Career
- 5 HR Tactics You Can Steal From Google’s Groundbreaking Analytics Team
- The Three Things to Get You Out on a Run
- Promoting Equality in the Workplace
- The Benefits of High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Laura | Online CIPD Level 5 Review
- Learn to Love Learning in 4 Simple Steps
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Ashley | Online CIPD Level 3 Review
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Jacqui | CIPD L&D Level 3 Review
- Infographic: What to Wear to Work Out
- Teach Your Kids to be Money Smart
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Sophia | Personal Training Course Review
- Fitness Friday: Meet Annie Bean
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Samuel | Online GCSE Maths Review
- The Science of Happiness: 5 Ways to Boost Your Wellbeing
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Ruby | Online CIPD Level 5 Review
- Fitness Friday: The Importance of Rest Days
- How Will Brexit Affect HR and Recruitment?
- Create A Printable GCSE and A Level Study Planner
- 12 Tips for Handling Difficult Conversations at Work
- How to Get a Job in Procurement & Supply
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Lewis | IGCSE English Language Review
- The 7 Time Management Mistakes That Are Ruining Your Productivity
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Audrey | Online GCSE Maths Review
- How to Give Constructive Feedback
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Klaudia | Online CIPD Level 7 Review
- 8 Tips for Students Starting an Online Learning Programme
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Rebecca | CIPD L&D Level 3 Review
- The 12 Best Health and Fitness Apps for Beginners 2017
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Samantha | Online AAT Advanced Review
- Top Tips for Triathlon Training
- We’re Launching All-Inclusive AAT Programmes for Businesses
- Triathlete Michael Hindmarch on Training, Competing and the European Championships
- 3 Ways to Land Your First HR Job
- How to Look After Your Mental Health as a Student
- Infographic: What To Do If You Fail Your GCSEs
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Adam | Online AAT Accounting Review
- A Level Results: What to Do If You Didn’t Get The Grades You Need (2017 Update)
- GCSE Results: What to Do if You Didn’t Get the Grades You Need (2017 Update)
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Sarah | Online CIPD Level 7 Review
- ICS Real Stories: Lewis's IGCSE English Language Results
- ICS Real Stories: Laura's GCSE Maths Results