Name: Sherica Austin
Lives in: Salisbury
Studied: ICS Bookkeeping and Accounts
Why ICS Learn? It was easy to sign-up and she could study in her own time.
Sherica moved to England from the Caribbean in 2012 with her husband, whose work as an engineer led him to the UK. She had studied accounting in college, but wanted to brush up on her bookkeeping skills and earn a qualification that would be recognised in Britain.
"I always liked maths"
It was a natural knack for mathematics that attracted Sherica to accounting in the first place. She tells us that her interest in the subject started from an early age.
"I was strong in maths and always liked maths. It was one of my strongest subjects from a young age. I was always calculating stuff," she explains.
"I took a business class in high school, and then continued with the subject right up through college."
"It looked really interesting and it was easy to sign-up"
About two years after the big move, Sherica started looking into courses that would fit with her schedule and boost her job prospects. With a three-year-old daughter at home, she needed a course that was flexible.
Sherica's online searches led her to our ICS Bookkeeping and Accounts distance learning course. It was exactly what she was looking for.
"It looked really interesting and it was easy to sign up," she says. And that's just what she did. In January 2014, she enrolled on the course.
"I could study in my own time"
After signing up for the course, Sherica got started right away. Despite some initial nervousness, she drew on her previous accounting training and quickly found her rhythm. Distance learning made it easy to squeeze her studies in around her other obligations.
"My course materials were sent in that same week, and I was surprised and anxious to start," she remembers. "I found time to study during my daughter's naptimes, or when she was away at nursery."
"I could study in my own time," she says.
"The tutor was always there to assist me in every way possible"
For Sherica, the course helped jog her memory and refresh the knowledge that she gained in college. She particularly enjoyed learning about balance sheets, which she remembered well from her previous studies.
The hardest part of the course was variance analysis. It was completely new to her, and she was puzzled as to which formulas to use. She was glad to have the support from her ICS tutor.
"The course started off really nice with some challenging assignments, but the tutor was always there to assist me in every way possible."
"It was money worth spending"
In September 2014, four months in advance of the deadline, Sherica completed the course and earned her official ICS Bookkeeping and Accounts Diploma. She's started looking into bookkeeping jobs in her area, and she feels more confident with a UK-recognised qualification on her resume.
"I have no regrets choosing ICS Learn to begin my journey of studies. I am forever loyal and will continue in the future with any course.
"It was my money worth spending. Thank you ICS Learn!"
Download Your Free Guide
- ICS Learn Open Day Facebook Live Event
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Abi
- 10 Simple Tips To Help You Learn Faster
- What We Learned From The CIPD Show 2016
- 3 Learning Styles and Why They’re Vital
- Share Your Success for a Chance To Win £100 Shopping Vouchers
- ICS Real Stories - Meet Lee
- 10 Signs That You're Ready For A New Career
- 5 HR Tactics You Can Steal From Google’s Groundbreaking Analytics Team
- The Three Things to Get You Out on a Run
- Promoting Equality in the Workplace
- The Benefits of High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Laura | Online CIPD Level 5 Review
- Learn to Love Learning in 4 Simple Steps
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Ashley | Online CIPD Level 3 Review
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Jacqui | CIPD L&D Level 3 Review
- Infographic: What to Wear to Work Out
- Teach Your Kids to be Money Smart
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Sophia | Personal Training Course Review
- Fitness Friday: Meet Annie Bean
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Samuel | Online GCSE Maths Review
- The Science of Happiness: 5 Ways to Boost Your Wellbeing
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Ruby | Online CIPD Level 5 Review
- Fitness Friday: The Importance of Rest Days
- How Will Brexit Affect HR and Recruitment?
- Create A Printable GCSE and A Level Study Planner
- 12 Tips for Handling Difficult Conversations at Work
- How to Get a Job in Procurement & Supply
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Lewis | IGCSE English Language Review
- The 7 Time Management Mistakes That Are Ruining Your Productivity
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Audrey | Online GCSE Maths Review
- How to Give Constructive Feedback
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Klaudia | Online CIPD Level 7 Review
- 8 Tips for Students Starting an Online Learning Programme
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Rebecca | CIPD L&D Level 3 Review
- The 12 Best Health and Fitness Apps for Beginners 2017
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Samantha | Online AAT Advanced Review
- Top Tips for Triathlon Training
- We’re Launching All-Inclusive AAT Programmes for Businesses
- Triathlete Michael Hindmarch on Training, Competing and the European Championships
- 3 Ways to Land Your First HR Job
- How to Look After Your Mental Health as a Student
- Infographic: What To Do If You Fail Your GCSEs
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Adam | Online AAT Accounting Review
- A Level Results: What to Do If You Didn’t Get The Grades You Need (2017 Update)
- GCSE Results: What to Do if You Didn’t Get the Grades You Need (2017 Update)
- ICS Real Stories: Meet Sarah | Online CIPD Level 7 Review
- ICS Real Stories: Lewis's IGCSE English Language Results
- ICS Real Stories: Laura's GCSE Maths Results